Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly feature hosted buy The Broke and The Bookish. Each week they post a new topic and invite everyone to share their lists.
Ten Books for readers who were kids in the 90’s!
I loved thinking back to childhood stories that I read and loved as a kid. I have compiled a list of 10 here, that are memorable to me, although there are many, many more! These aren’t necessarily ones that were published in the nineties, just ones that I remember loving as a 90’s kid! Some are ones I loved as a kid, the others as I ventured into the world of secondary school.
How I wish I was a kid again – the days of SM:TV live, ZZZap!, Art Attack, Funhouse, Sabrina the Teenage Witch and Bodger & Badger. I’m getting a little nostalgic, on with the list…..
1. Enid Blyton! I would have to say Secret Seven, Famous Five or The Magic Faraway Tree!
2. Roald Dahl – Matilda being my top Roald Dahl book. Although I loved James & The Giant Peach, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, Fantastic Mr Fox, The Twits, The Witches….
3. Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown
4. Point Horror – The Lifeguard, Funhouse & The Cheerleader to name a few.
5. Charlotte’s Web by E.B White
6. The Goosebumps Series by R.L Stine – Say Cheese and Die! was my favourite.
7. Alfie by Shirley Hughes
8. My Naughty Little Sister by Dorothy Edwards – I still have my original hardback copy of this, gifted to me by my late uncle, dated 1992 (I was 5!). I will never part with it. Ever.
9. Topsy & Tim by Jean Adamson.
10. The Harry Potter series. I know this is an obvious one but this was so significant to my childhood. I was 10 when the first book was published (this makes me feel extremely old!). It was the first series I followed avidly, getting my nan to pre-order the books for me in WHSmith.
What books did you read as a kid? I loved thinking back to my most memorable books – I would love to re-read some of these!